Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

flushing waste and wasting flushes

so i'm thinking about words again.

I've been in Richmond Hall writing a paper for the past couple of hours. I just made my second trip to the bathroom - didn't wash my hands either time..totally badass. sucks for whoever will be using this keyboard next.

As I approached the door to the bathroom, I could hear water running. First I was surprised at my thought that somebody may be in there, but once I entered, I realized that that really the flush lever was stuck from my previous visit to the urination station. I immediately unstuck it so the water would stop running.

I thought to myself, "what a waste."

why was it a waste?   Because clean water was flowing somewhere only dirty water should go. We missed out on the opportunity to use clean water. The clean water was wasted.

It would not have been wasted had it been dirty water. When we flush normally, it does not seem like a real waste of water (unless it's a really inefficient toilet or something).

Sooo...when the flush contains human waste, we would not say that the flush was a waste of water.

when the flush contains no waste, it is itself a waste.

when what is flushed is waste, the flush is not wasted.

circles.

it's friday night. i should be the only thing getting wasted.

1 comment: